Frozen Norwegian Cold Water Shrimp 500gm/pkt – Cooked & Peeled (Ready to eat). Photo: Seafood Maestro My
International market situation for Norwegian prawn and crab
Wednesday, December 07, 2022, 07:00 (GMT + 9)
Strong export month for prawn
- Norway exported 2,254 tonnes of prawns worth NOK 112 million in November.
- The value increased by NOK 32 million, or 40 per cent, compared to November last year.
- There is a growth export volume of 72 per cent.
- Iceland, Sweden and Great Britain were the biggest markets for prawn in November.
There was a strong increase in export value and export volume for prawn in November. The export value increased by 24 million, and the export volume ended at 1,338 tonnes.
"The biggest driver was the export of frozen raw prawns to the pill industry in Iceland. Frozen raw prawns accounted for 32 per cent of the export value in November, compared to 14 per cent in the same month last year. This was the second largest prawn product, measured in terms of value"
, says Josefine Voraa, Manager for Shellfish with the Norwegian Seafood Council.
Value growth for frozen peeled prawns
Frozen peeled prawns, the most prominent product measured by value, accounted for 55 per cent of the export value in November. This is an increase in value of 8 per cent.
"Export volumes are down by 9 per cent, while the export value jumped by 19 per cent compared to November 2021. Exports to Sweden and Great Britain are increasing in value and volume, while exports to Finland decreased due to reduced volumes", says Josefine Voraa.
Challenging month for king crab
- Norway exported 120 tonnes of king crab worth NOK 79 million in November.
- Export value fell by NOK 37 million, or 32 per cent, compared to November last year.
- Export volume fell by 32 per cent.
- The USA, Canada and the Netherlands were the biggest markets for king crab in November.
In November, king crab had a challenging market situation compared to last year.
"Increased supply of Russian red king crab in Asia, lower demand for frozen in the USA and Europe led to a 32 per cent drop in volume in November", says Josefine Voraa, Manager for Shellfish with the Norwegian Seafood Council.
Greatest increase in export value to Canada
Measured by value, this is the second strongest November since Norway started exporting king crab. It comes from historically high prices, increased exports to North America and a weak krone against the dollar.
"Canada had the largest increase in value this month, with an export value of NOK 12 million, or 599 per cent, compared to the same month last year. The export volume to Canada ended at 18 tonnes, which is 383 per cent higher than the same month last year"
, says Josefine Voraa.
Indonesia was the largest market for snow crab
- Norway exported 198 tonnes of snow crab worth NOK 25 million in November.
- No snow crab was exported in November last year.
- Indonesia, the USA and the Netherlands were the biggest markets for snow crab in November.
In November, Indonesia was the largest market for Norwegian snow crab, with 129 tons worth NOK 15 million.
Of the total export value of NOK 25 million, Indonesia accounted for 60 per cent.