Skrei cod (Photo: courtesy Norwegian Seafood Council
The highest quality cod in the world is back in season
Tuesday, January 18, 2022, 07:00 (GMT + 9)
Skrei, as Norway’s migratory cod is known, has reached the shores of Northern Norway after its epic 1,000km journey from the depths of the icy Barents Sea. This journey is what gives these cod the viking name skrei, which means “traveller”.
By the time it arrives in Norway, skrei is at its best, with succulent white flesh, wonderful texture, and a delicate flavour. It is eagerly awaited by chefs right across Europe, who understand this is some of the finest fish in the world.
Norwegian skrei is not just the preserve of chefs in the elaborate dishes of fancy restaurants, any home cook is guaranteed to succeed with skrei, and there is a range of tempting recipes available. Find recipes here.
Norwegian Seafood Council
A healthy start to 2022
Skrei is tasty and versatile, and has great nutritional value: a portion provides the recommended daily amount of omega-3, as well as vitamins A and B12, which are linked to a strong immune system as well as good brain and reproductive health. Skrei contains selenium and iodine, and is also a low-calorie, high protein choice.
All this means that including skrei in the diet is of great benefit to all health-conscious home cooks and consumers.
You can also be confident that, when you choose Norwegian skrei, you are making a good choice for the planet as well as your health: the Barents Sea cod stock is one of the largest in the world, and the fishery is considered to be one of the most sustainable.
Fish is not only an integral part of Norway’s heritage, it is a vital element of the future too, which is why Norwegian seafood is about trust: trust in quality, and trust in sustainability.
The arrival of our special cod is also supported by the Norwegian Seafood Council’s promotional activities for in several European markets, such as France, Spain, Germany and Sweden.
Fish facts: Skrei
• Skrei is a seasonal wild cod from Norway
• Skrei is a premium, seasonal fish, and is some of the best cod available
• Skrei means wanderer, referring to the 1,000km journey the cod makes each year from the Barents Sea to the coast off Northern Norway
• Fresh skrei is only available between January and April
• Skrei is caught as it migrates from the Barents Sea to its spawning grounds along the Northern Norwegian coast
• Skrei hails from the world’s largest cod stock and is one of the most sustainable fish species you can eat
• Skrei is often referred to as the king of cod. and is one of the leanest types of fish because it stores fat in the liver and not in the muscles
• Skrei are typically larger than coastal cod and have a firm consistency with very white, flaky meat. It has a clean, delicate flavour, and is considered a culinary delicacy in many parts of the world
Source: Norwegian Seafood Council
By Malena Nahum